Did you know the top three days of the year for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day, and New Year's Eve?
The U.S. Fire Administration recommends the following precautions as you decorate and celebrate this holiday season:
- Only use decorations that are flame-retardant or not flammable.
- Check holiday lights each year for frayed wires or excessive wear.
- Don’t link more than three strands of holiday lights.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. Consider using battery-operated flame-less candles.
- Keep Candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns.
- Keep your live Christmas tree away from heat sources and room exits.
- Water your live Christmas tree daily to keep it from becoming dry.
- Dispose of you Christmas Tree as soon as it becomes dry or shortly after Christmas.
Residents can find the Christmas Tree pickup schedule on the Health Department Rubbish and Recycling Page.
From your friends at the Fitchburg Fire Department please have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season!