The Fitchburg Disability Commission
Established December 7, 1993
~ Our Mission ~
“To enhance the quality of life for people with disabilities in Fitchburg by raising awareness and promoting compliance with, and adoption of, relevant laws and regulations.”
Some of our Current Projects Include:
- Continued work with officials at City Hall to make the building as accessible as possible.
- Assisting with reviewing and updating the City’s 504/ADA Self Evaluation and Transition Plan.
- Continued work with the Office of the Superintendent of Fitchburg Public Schools to improve accessibility to school buildings and programs.
- On-going advocacy on behalf of disabled citizens in the Fitchburg area.
Please join us at one of our meetings which are always open to the public.
We meet monthly (except for August), on the second Thursday of the month at 3:15 p.m.
Our meetings are held in the conference room at the City's Municipal Offices located at 166 Boulder Drive, Fitchburg.
Powers and Duties of the Commission:
- To investigate and research local problems and issues of persons with disabilities and to make recommendations as a result thereof
- To advise and assist municipal officials and employees so as to assure municipal compliance with state and federal law affecting or impacting persons with disabilities
- To coordinate and/or carry out programs designed to meet the needs of persons with disabilities and to coordinate activities with the Massachusetts Office on Disabilities or other appropriate persons or entities
- To review and make recommendations about the policies, procedures, services, activities and facilities of municipal departments, boards or agencies as they affect persons with disabilities
- To provide information, referrals, guidance and technical assistance to individuals, public agencies, businesses, and organizations on matters relating to disabilities
- To coordinate the activities of other local groups organized for similar or related purposes
If you have an issue of concern that you would like the Fitchburg Disability Commission to address, please contact us:
All issues will be discussed at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Fitchburg Disability Commission.
Other Agencies to Contact
MA Rehabilitation Commission
800-245-6543 voice or TTY
Provides vocational rehabilitation services, independent living services and is responsible for eligibility determinations for SSI/SSDI.
MA Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Provides information and training and interpreter and Computer Aided Realtime Translation Reporter Services (CART).
MA Architectural Access Board
Hears complaints and requests for variances for accessibility issues at buildings open to and used by the public.
MA Commission for the Blind
Provides vocational rehabilitation, independent living services, home care, respite assistance, advocacy and information resources.
MA Developmental Disabilities Council
Provides opportunities for people with developmental disabilities to enhance independence, integration & inclusion.
Center for Living and Working
Provides independent living skills training, emergency intervention and information and referral services to people with disabilities.
MA Office on Disability
800-322-2020 voice or TTY
Provides information, referrals and advocacy for individuals with disabilities. Provides TA & trains individuals and public entities on the ADA and other pertinent laws.
MA Department of Mental Health
Ensures access to services promoting consumer rights, responsibilities, rehabilitation and recovery.