Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project
What is the Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project?
This guide provides a brief overview of the work that will be taking place, the other projects it aligns with, and an overview of the exciting revitalization work taking place downtown.
The Main/Boulder project will convert Main Street and Boulder Drive to two-way traffic, implementing a number of Complete Streets improvements along the way. The end-result will be a project that works better for both cars and people, and will help support the revitalization of downtown Fitchburg.
September 17, 2021
P.J. Albert Inc. will continue underground electrical conduit installation on Boulder Drive at the intersection with Putnam Street and on Putnam Street. A subcontractor plans to install curbing on Boulder Drive at the intersections with Putnam Street, Newton Place, and Commercial Street. Expect temporary road closures and delays throughout the week. Please note businesses along Main Street and Boulder Drive are open during construction. Parking is available at the Mill Street and Putnam Street parking garages.
September 10, 2021
P.J. Albert, Inc. will be continuing work on the Main Street and Boulder Drive Two Way Conversion Project, which is being funded through a Mass Works grant. They will not be on site early in the week, but anticipate beginning underground electrical conduit installation on Boulder Drive and Putnam Street beginning on Wednesday, September 15. Expect temporary road closures and delays.
Please note businesses along Main Street and Boulder Drive are open during construction. Parking is available at the Mill Street and Putnam Street parking garages.
September 3, 2021
P.J. Albert Inc. will be removing pavement, grading, and repaving at the intersection Boulder Drive and Main Street east of the Water Street Bridge. Expect road closures - traffic will utilize a detour on Cushing Street.
PJA will also be working to finish drainage on Putnam Street and start installing new electric lines for the new lights.
Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project Designs
- The finished designs will be completed in late spring of 2020. The project will then go out to bid, with a target award date of June 2020. The work will begin in late summer, and is anticipated to be completed in fall of 2021.
- View simplified designs, which provide a basic overview of the project.
- View detailed construction designs, which provide construction-level detail of the work ahead.
Overview of Project Schedule
- July 2021: Mobilization
- Mid- July 2021: Erosion control, Test Pits (Project Wide)
- Late July 2021: Site Drainage, Main Street
- August 2021: Site Drainage, Boulder Drive
- August/September 2021: Sidewalk and Lighting Work, Main Street
- September/October 2021: Sidewalk and Lighting Work, Boulder Drive
- Winter Shut Down: December – March (weather dependent)
- Spring Start Up, March 2022 (weather dependent): East End Intersection Reconstruction
- April/May 2022: West End Intersection Reconstruction
- May 2022: Roadway and Landscaping Finishes
- Throughout the Project Period: Traffic Signalization Upgrade Work
- June 2022: Project Completion