The Library has available three portable Wi-Fi hotspots, or wireless access points, for Fitchburg residents with Library cards with no fines. These Wi-Fi hotspots connect to the T-Mobile network and can be used with laptops, tablets, phones, portable games or other devices that access the Internet through a wireless connection. They provide unlimited, high speed data throughput when connected to the T-Mobile cellular data network.
With the hotspots patrons can stream video to their devices without using their data plan, or can take a hotspot and their wireless devices on vacation and have fast, unlimited data as long as a T-Mobile cellular network is available. As many as fifteen devices can be connected at one time, so the whole family can enjoy Internet access away from your home Wi-Fi network.
These Wi-Fi hotspots were purchased with funds donated by library users, circulate for two weeks to Fitchburg residents with adult library cards in good standing, and cannot be renewed. There is a limit to one hotspot per family every sixty (60) days.
These devices can be reserved through our Museum Pass reservation system, or by talking to or calling a Librarian. Library staff are available to help connect your tablet or laptop, or to answer any questions you may have about these new Wi-Fi hotspots.
The following policies apply when borrowing Wi-Fi Hotspots:
- You must be a Fitchburg resident.
- You must have an ADULT library card that is at least 2 months old and with no fines. You may not use a Temporary card.
Loan Rules and Duration
- 2 week (14 day) loan – NO RENEWAL
- One use per household per 60 days
- Must be booked through our TixKeeper System (the same place you reserve museum passes), on a first come, first served basis.
- The device will only be available for pick up on the day of your reservation (no early pick-up)
- Return to Fitchburg Information Desk ONLY, not in the Book Drop. A $10 fine will be assessed if the book drop is used.
- Fines are $5 a day for each day the device is kept over the 2 week period. The device will be shut off after 2 days and you will be charged the replacement fee of $145. The Fitchburg Police Department may be notified.
- The person with the reservation must pick up the device with their own library card and a photo ID.
- Replacement costs: $5.00 for the users’ guide, $5.00 for the power plug, $5.00 for the power cord, $120 for the device, and a $10 service fee.
The library is not responsible for damage to any device connected to the Internet through the borrowed HotSpot, nor for any content received over the Internet. Tampering with library equipment, software or programming, including bypassing security functions, is prohibited.